Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Today will be good.

I have a really good feeling about today. I woke up on time, had a long lovely breakfast followed by a long lovely shower, and I made my first micro-loan through Kiva.org . Kiva is a site where you can loan money to struggling entrepreneurs around the world (and you can loan as much as you want or as little as $25), and then you're paid back as their business starts to take off. The repayment rate is 98.87%, so there's almost no risk of losing your investment. I'm helping out a farmer in Ecuador named Christian Israel so he can buy seeds and fertilizer. Join me in helping someone start over! http://kiva.org/invitedby/lisa9711

If you aren't familiar with a group called Nerdfighters, I recommend looking them up. They're an internet-based community dedicated to "decreasing world-suck levels and increasing world-awesome." One of the brothers who helped found the group, John Green, made a YouTube video a few days ago about the site (his second video about it in the last three years), and in the last two days, the Nerdfighters team on Kiva has raised over $20,000 for people around the world. That's a group I can love and get behind.

I'm actually going to be doing a folklore project on the group in the coming months, so it'll be interesting to see what I dig up.

I'd keep talking about the wonderful things in life, but I'm about to late for class. That would not make today wonderful. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment