Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lisa the Lobster

I love the farmer's market here. Saturday morning, Jill and I got up early to have a nice long breakfast before meeting my boyfriend to head up to the farmer's market on the square. I hadn't been to a farmer's market in years (though we do have one in my home town every other week of summer). There were at least 10 stalls all selling different things. From one woman I bought a big jar of blackberry jam, and another man sold me a dozen free range eggs. Apparently, he doesn't even have a fence on his property. The chickens just do whatever they feel like. I've also heard that he has a campus delivery service twice a month, so I might see if I can sign up for once a month or something like that.


The produce there was amazing. I've never seen eggplants of that size in my entire life (even on tv), and the zucchini we bought were at least double the size of the ones we find in my grocery store back home. I'm seriously in love with this market. Also, Jill bought 13 ears of corn for two dollars. I cannot describe how much I love grilled corn on the cob. Om nom nom.


When we got home, I made my very first chickpea burgers! My friend Katie is coming over for lunch on Tuesday and I thought they'd be good to have, so I experimented and they were AMAZING. I am not ashamed to admit that I ate all of them throughout the course of the day. I messed up while reading the ingredient list, so instead of having onion in the burgers, I had garlic and black olives (which I realize isn't even close to "onion," but whatever, it was like eating greek hummus!) and garnished with some herbs I brought from my garden back home. It's killing me to wait until Tuesday to bake the rest of burgers.


Believe it or not, my roommates and I never really hang out. They are two of my best friends, but we only ever see each other at our house or by coincidence on campus. Also, I've never been to the beach here in town, even though I've already lived here for two years. Both of these wrongs were righted yesterday, and it was insanely fun. I really missed the feel of sand under my feet. Jill and I even built a sandcastle (before the waves got it) and then some kids asked us if we'd help them build a sandcastle for the frog that they caught. Frogger lived happily ever after in his castle for about twenty minutes before one kid stole him and another demolished the building, but it was good while it lasted.


The day was wrapped up with cooking dinner with my beau (Zucchini and Black Bean Chilaquiles, yeah, I didn't know what the heck that meant either, but it was damn tasty) and then watching a movie at my apartment. I can now say that I've seen a Clint Eastwood film, and I'm a little in love with Gran Torino. It was insanly good, and if you haven't seen it, you should go do it right now. Go. Seriously.


And then after the movie, I discovered that I am now a lobster because I was a moron at the beach and did not wear sunscreen. I'm off to nurse my back and do some reading for Monday's classes. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment